Daily Writing Exercise

So in conjunction with Mur Laferty's I Should Be Writing blog and podcast, I have decided to follow along with her walk through of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron. I've danced around this book f or a few years but I finally checked it out of the library so I could follow along.

Cameron's big idea is that man is an inherently creative being, but often blocked by his own fears and doubts, the mundanity of daily life, etc. You need to open yourself to the creative spirit of the universe, and the  book talks about how to unblock yourself. It's a little new age-y, but I can run with that. Cameron advocates writing three pages daily - not actual creative writing, per se - but literally, let your hand take a pencil and write through three pages every morning.  It's an exercise in getting the negativity out of your head and onto the page - a venting of emotional bile and vomit onto the page in written form. I'm going to give it a try. Daily writing is something that I've tried before, but I'm going to give it a go again. At the very least, I believe that putting myself in a position where I am writing as a structured exercise rather than waiting for creativity to strike will be good for me.

No comments: